Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Meager Christmas; or is it?


Well, like everyone else, money is tight this year, so hmmmm… what am I going to do about Christmas presents? 

Fortunately in our families, we only buy for “the little ones” so that helps make things a little less straining on the ol’ bank account, but there are 8 kids all together, so still a little stressful sometimes.  Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE getting things for the kids, but sometimes it can get to be overwhelming.  This year it was proving to be even harder with money tighter than usual. 

PINTEREST.com to the rescue!  Yep, I MADE all the gifts this year.  And though I started out thinking how meager and pitiful it was going to be (and praying all the nieces & nephews forgave me), they turned out quite well if I do say so myself.  Here’s a peek at what I made, but shhhh… don’t tell the kids who haven’t gotten theirs yet (it’s Christmas eve as I type).

 
I started with calming jars for all the kids over the age of five. 



I found these adorable light-bulb shaped jars at Hobby Lobby and just HAD to find something to do with them!  Calming jars are really cool!  They’re basically jars (of any sort) filled with water, glitter and clear glue or glitter glue (food coloring optional).  The idea is when you’re upset, you shake it up and watch everything settle (and don’t respond until all has settled).  I made them for the kids, but probably need one for myself (I keep wondering when my kids are going to offer theirs to me—I made some for them back in the summer out of jelly jars).

 

Next I made themed wooden letters (first letter of their name) for the older nieces and nephews.  Of course I tried to personalize them with things I knew each child was interested in.  No, I didn’t intend to spell the word “sobs”, but hoping that’s not the sound they all make when they open their gifts!





I also made wooden inspirational blocks for each child according to their interests (designed each one on my computer after “stealing” the wording from the internet).


Next up came the “material presents”. 

First, scarves for the girls (Jonah was my model for the picture) and hand warmers for the boys.  Fortunately, both nieces like camouflage, so that made it easier (and cheaper) to just buy one material for all.



I made this Batman cape and mask for Jonah (he is going to be so thrilled!).  I’m not a huge super-hero fan and generally don’t allow such things around here, but yep, I caved!  On the up-side, the only Batman show they’ve ever seen is the original (I guess it’s the original) from back in the 60’s that plays on ME-TV and Jonah just LOVES Batman now.  I don’t think they have a clue what the modern Batman is like.



I also gave each niece (and my mom) a container of Peppermint Lip Balm I made from genuine shea butter amongst other things.  Then I made Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub for the kids’ Sunday school teachers, p.e. coach, speech teacher and my mom.




For Levi, I made this baseball shadow box and, with the help of my dad, these baseball bookends.



Here’s a look at the assembled gifts for the older nieces & nephews.





Last, but not least, with lots of help from my dad (he made the frames) I made these cute pup-tents for the younger nephews (and Jonah).  Jonah is pictured “modeling” the tent here, but I have to tell you the story behind (or should I say after?) this picture.


I realized there was no way to “hide” these tents from him since we’d be giving one to the nephews before Christmas day so Jonah would see them then.  So, after getting it put together, I just left it in the living room for the boys to see when they came home from hunting.  Jonah came in and got all excited about it until he realized it was not for him.  When I said that these were for Cayden & Aaron, Jonah added, “And maybe I’ll get one too!” To which I responded, “Why would you get one?” (with much seriousness).

The boys went on to take a shower and shortly Levi came out of the bathroom saying that Jonah was not coming out of the tub because (in Jonah’s words) “no one loved him or even liked him”.  Levi said, “I told him you and Dad loved him, but he just said no they don’t because no one is getting me anything.” –OH did I fail to mention that I’d told the boys weeks ago that we may not buy them anything due to money?  They were perfectly okay with that until now ;)

Isn’t Jonah going to be surprised when he gets up Christmas morning to see HIS pup-tent in the living room (with the garnet sheet he picked out thinking it was for his bed I’m sure)?

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!  And please don’t forget the real reason for the season.

3 comments:

  1. Very Awesome! And how did he like it this morning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He loved it!
    Just read back through my post and realized I copied and pasted the same paragraph twice, so I'll try to fix that now :)
    Hope y'all had a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool projects I love pinterest!!! after an hour of pinning I always feel so crafty ;)

    ReplyDelete