Tuesday, July 17, 2012

There’s no place like home (if you like barns)!


Calamine, Tea Tree and Bleach… oh my!

Have you ever smelled Tea Tree Oil?  It’s a bit strange (though Jake likes the smell, but we all know he’s a bit strange anyway).  When I was young, our family had horses and it seems this stuff reminds me of something we used with the horses, though I can’t put my finger on just what it was… Caron, you know???  Anyway, the age-old question, “Were you raised in a barn?” might seem a bit suited for our house right now because it seems it smells more like a stall than a house, but we’re praying this does the trick!!

Okay, so I’m sure you’re all tired of hearing about our “burdens” here on the honey farm but yep, we’re at it again.  Trying to clear up Jonah’s impetigo (at least I assume that’s what it is again).  Maybe the third time’s the charm ;)—and, no I am not superstitious at all!

As most of you know, I hate medicines and antibiotics and all such nonsense and try to avoid them as much as possible (which is why I don’t go or take the kids to the doctor any more than I do).  I’m a firm believer that if we never allow our bodies to fight off things, they’ll never learn.  I do NOT want to weaken any of our immune systems (Jonah’s seems to be weak enough already) and we all have a high pain tolerance in this house, so we tend to “tough it out” with most things around here.  But this one is about to get the best of us!

Also as most of you know, Jonah’s already been prescribed an antibiotic ointment (for the first round of impetigo) and an oral antibiotic later (for the second outbreak which was Bullous Impetigo).  Now, I’m trying the ever-present internet for advice before heading to the doctor again!

Jonah’s doctor already recommended a cap full of bleach in his bath water a couple of times a week, so I do that when I can, but I’ve now read that Tea Tree Oil helps to heal it; so that’s what I’m trying now (in addition to the bleach baths, Calamine and antibiotic ointment!).  Thank you, Walmart for carrying the Tea Tree Oil (I’m not a fan of visiting specialized stores).  I am also using a mixture of water and vinegar for down in his ear because I suspect the impetigo is down in there, too!!  Bless his heart (sniff, sniff).
The washer is running much more often than usual now (washing his towels, bedding and pajamas after every use), the tub is getting a workout (bathing Jonah 2-3 times a day when we’re home), and the strange Tea Tree Oil smell fills the house while the ever present “STOP SCRATCHING, JONAH!” can be heard all day most every day.  Pray with us that we’ll get this thing licked and get back to normal (whatever that is).


No comments:

Post a Comment